The Benefits of PDUs and iPDUs
Are you responsible for installing & monitoring the power in your Rack?
At Wood Communications not a day goes by when we are asked what the benefits of an intelligent Power supply for my Rack will and what are the costs difference from the standard ones I buy. Below is a simple explanation for you which we hope helps, call us to know more as we’re happy to help.
GLOBAL SPECIALIST IN ELECTRICAL AND DIGITAL BUILDING INFRASTRUCTURES
One fateful day many years ago, a rack PDU was outfitted with monitoring capabilities, and the intelligent PDU (or ‘network PDU’) was born. This new class of devices focused on the collection of rack power quality data at the power strip. These capabilities were followed by power control features, which created a new class of power distribution devices within conventional comms rooms or the Data Centre environment. The power data that was being collected at the rack was aggregated and then consolidated over a network connection before being presented to the user via monitoring software.
The invention of the intelligent PDU itself was a historic event. Through the deliberate and well-executed application of the device, the real story is in how the industry was able to create a tool that was instrumental in driving efficiencies and cost savings into those operations that adopted the technology.
Some Data Centres can have a reputation to be expensive but as we know in today’s world with the changing climate an absolute integral part for us to survive in today’s world. Oftentimes, it has less to do with the cost of power and more to do with the management of that resource, and how it is being distributed around the comms room or Data Centre . Intelligent PDUs allow administrators to see exactly where power is being allocated in the Comms Room or Data Center. With their additional smarts and parts, the typical intelligent PDU is more efficient than its standard cousins, but the additional capital investment pays dividends for the operation.
Here are 5 ways in which intelligent PDUs will lead to operational cost savings in data centers.
1) They can help improve the efficiency of the power distribution system. This comes in two forms: higher voltages and better management of the electrical infrastructure.
2) They support environmental sustainability initiatives and lower PUE. Intelligent PDUs can improve energy efficiency by providing the electrical load data needed for better management of the mechanical system, where the big savings are found.
3) They provide improved control of the operation at the rack level. Small increases in operational efficiency on a rack by rack basis adds up to great gains across an entire data center.
4) They can support increased Comms room / Data Centre uptime. Equipment that is operating at its peak, neither underloaded nor overloaded, tends to stay operational. Equipment that is not operated within an optimal range tends to experience greater failure rates.
5) They allow for greater capacity planning and utilization of the electrical system. Full use of existing electrical infrastructure helps avoid the cost of capital upgrades to increase capacity. In other words, better utilization of existing resources means avoiding additional costs.
Here’s the closer.
If there is one word that every IT Manager/Facilities or professional fears, it is downtime.
Intelligent PDUs come with advanced power alerts as well as environmental monitoring. This is critical for with rapidly shifting compute cycles.
Using intelligent PDUs, you can gain better visibility into how their mechanical and electrical systems are performing.
POWER SUPPLY MANAGEMENT
Button not working? Try clicking this link instead.